All international students must have insurance until they graduate from Korea University. It is mandatory to submit a copy of your insurance to Global Services Center via email or in person at the beginning of each semester. More detailed information on deadlines for submitting proof of insurance will be posted on our Announcements.

As for Insurance, students can choose to either buy private insurance or pay for mutual health aid association provided by the university.


If you already HAVE a private insurance that takes effect in Korea, you can submit a copy of your insurance to Global Services Center.

  • eg. Insurance purchased from your home country
  • eg. Insurance purchased in Korea

If you DO NOT HAVE one, you MUST purchase ANY ONE from the following options:

  1. Group Private Insurance by Central Ins Korea (중앙인스코리아)
  2. Korea University Medical Benefits (Mutual Health Aid Association)
  3. Any private health insurance of your choice
Group Private Insurance by Central Ins Korea (중앙인스코리아)

This group private insurance is specially offered to Korea University international students at a substantially lower rate by Central Ins Korea(중앙인스코리아). (Details are provided by Central Ins Korea and are subject to change)

How to apply:

Please go to -> click ‘Insurance Applications (외국인 유학생 보험신청)’ and follow the instructions. How to print out your Certificate of Insurance after the purchase : login and go to ‘My information’ and click ‘Insurance(증권있음)’

Group Private Health Insurance
  1. A Insurance period: 6 months (from the beginning to the end of each semester)

  2. B Cost of Insurance: 70,000 KRW

  3. C Application Period:

    1. 1) Spring semester – until the last day of April.
    2. 2) Fall semester – until the last day of October.

    If you apply or make a payment after the application period, individual rate would be applied which will result in higher cost of insurance.

  4. D Coverage Summary

    Accidental death and Disability
    Max 50,000,000 KRW
    Sickness death
    Max 10,000,000 KRW
Injury or Sickness Medical Reimbursement (Domestic, Inpatient)
Max 10,000,000 KRW
Injury or Sickness Medical Reimbursement (Domestic, 0utpatient)
Max 250,000 KRW
Injury or Sickness Medical Reimbursement (Domestic, Prescription)
Max 50,000 KRW
Liability of Reparation
Max 10,000,000 KRW
Medical Inpatient Treatments when Abroad
Max 30,000,000 KRW
Evacuation / Repatriation
Max 30,000,000 KRW

Except in the case where the insured underwent a medical examination and treatment due to a past disease relapse.

Customer Service in English 02-722-3200 / 02-776-8500

Customer Service in Chinese(中文) 02-3481-2133

Instant Messenger Customer Service on KakaoTalk – add INSCLAIM (English), or CLAIMS (Chinese,中文)

For more information about the coverage, click on the button below

What to prepare and Where to contact for Claims:
  1. A Information on Necessary Documents for Claims

    Division Documents
    Common Documents Claim Report & Personal Data Processing Agreement
    Copy of ARC (Alien Registration Card)
    Copy of bankbook
    Inpatient treatment
    (Including surgery)
    Confirmation of hospitalization and discharging
    Receipt of treatment
    Detailed statement of medical expenses
    Confirmation of surgery
    Medical records or First visit medical records
    Receipt of treatment
    Name of disease (codes) listed prescription
    1. Step 1
      Login on the website
    2. Step 2
      Go to ‘My information’ and click ‘Download Claim report’. Print out and fill in the form.
    3. Step 3
      Take a clear picture of all documents or scan them all. Go to ‘My information’ and click ‘Upload Documents for Claim’ to upload the files.

    For more information about making an insurance claim, please click on the button below.

  2. B For any inquiries, please contact the customer service center

    • English 02-722-3200 / 02-776-8500
    • Chinese(中文) 02-3481-2133

    Korea University will not be held responsible for any legal issues arising between any parties during the insured period.

Korea University Medical Benefits (Mutual Health Aid Association) - Applicable to KU students only

A partial form of insurance that provides a minimum medical coverage to all KU international students who pay the Mutual Health Aid Association fee. It plays a role of insurance only at the following hospitals and clinics:

    Designated Hospital & Clinic Information (Seoul Campus)

  1. Korea University Anam Hospital (Seongbuk-gu, Anam-dong) +82-2-920-5114 (
  2. Korea University Guro Hospital (Guro-gu, Guro-dong) +82-2-2626-2040 (
  3. Saramin Dental Clinic (Seongbuk-gu, Anam-dong) +82-2-2626-2040
  4. Anam Dental Clinic (Seongbuk-gu, Anam-dong) +82-2-925-2875

Korea University Ansan Hospital is excluded from the list of designated hospitals.

Medical coverage of Mutual Health Aid Association is highly limited compared to private health insurance, hence we strongly recommend you to buy a private insurance.

How to apply (must be paid during the enrollment period only) :

The Mutual Health Aid Association Fee is given as one of the optional fees on your tuition invoice. Therefore, you must select the Mutual Health Aid Association Fee option and pay the amount along with your tuition fee during the enrollment period of every semester.
A separate payment of the Mutual Health Aid Association fee after the enrollment period is NOT allowed.

After you apply :

You must visit the medical benefit office in advance to obtain the ‘Medical Benefit Eligibility Verification Card’ in order to receive medical benefits from the designated hospitals and clinics.

Medical Benefit Office is at Central Plaza, #112 (Next to One-Stop Service Center)

Medical Benefit Eligibility Verification Card

  • front
  • back
How to use :

You need to carry your ‘Medical Benefit Eligibility Verification Card’ and show it at the reception and billing counter of the designated hospitals and clinics. You will be able to get a discount on your medical treatment charges on the spot.

Medical benefits are applicable only when you are currently enrolled at Korea University. The Maximum amount of benefits per semester is 2,000,000 KRW (400,000 KRW for outpatients, 1,600,000 KRW for inpatients), and a total of 2,000,000 KRW can be received per semester for the same illness.

In case of an emergency or other circumstances where a student does not possess his/her verification card, he/she must at least inform the hospital that he/she is attending Korea University and follow the procedures as directed by them.

Frequently Asked Questions about Mutual Health Aid Association

  • Can I benefit from the Mutual Health Aid Association during vacation?
    Yes, you can go to the designated hospitals and clinics even during vacation and receive the same benefits.
    * If you’re a freshman, you will be able to benefit from the first day of the semester.
  • Can I pay the Mutual Health Aid Association fee during the semester?
    No, you can only pay along with your tuition fee during the tuition payment period.
  • Is the Mutual Health Aid Association fee refundable if I did not benefit from any hospitals and clinics?
    No, it is not refundable.
  • How much can I benefit through medical benefits?
    Medical benefits will differ depending on various kinds of treatment.
For any inquiries, contact the medical benefits office
#112, Central Plaza (next to One-Stop Service Center)