What is a VISA

In Korea, VISA is defined as the ‘Consul’s recommendation for a foreigner’s entry request.’ Therefore those who have unsatisfactory requirements for a visa can be denied entry to Korean soil. Generally speaking, international and exchange or visiting students are required to apply for Student Visa (D-2).

Visa Types

  • D-2 visa is intended for study and research at educational academic institutions (community college or higher) for more than 90 days. For more information about how to apply for this visa, please check this site - Applying for student visa
  • This visa is intended for a person learning Korean at a university-affiliated language center. If you want to take Korean Language Class, you can apply for D-4 Visa. More information is available at https://klc.korea.ac.kr/index.do For students who are in transition from D-4 to D-2, one must complete the language training before the semester starts in either March or September in order to switch visa. D-4 visa holders can NOT study at degree-seeking program.
  • The C-3 visa is for a visitor coming temporarily to Korea for 90 days or less for tourism, transit, recuperation, visiting relatives, and others. As this visa only allows you to stay for 90 days and this visa holder is NOT permitted to study, student who came to Korea with C-3 visa must switch into D-2 visa before the semester starts However, Group Tourism(C-3-2) Medical Tourism (C-3-3) General Tourism(C-3-9) Industrial Training(D-3) Non-professional Employment(E-9) Vessel Crew(E-10) or Miscellaneous(G-1) visa can NOT apply for Student (D-2) visa after entering Korea
  • The range of activities of B-2 status basically conforms to that of a C-3 visa. This visa is intended for a person who is a national of a country which has concluded the Visa Exemption Agreement B-1 visa with the Republic of Korea. Students who came to Korea with B-2 or B-1 must switch into D-2 within the next 30 days of arrival.